Kelston Boys High School Charter
To Wisdom with Honour
Hei te Matauranga I ou nei Mana
The School is the only single sex State Boys' school in West Auckland. The School enrolls students from a very broad geographical area and the zone encompasses all Waitakere City and beyond.The School accepts the challenge of achieving holistic goals with each student who attends the School.
Developing exemplary young men who strive for excellence in academic, sporting and cultural pursuits
- Academic achievement is our number one priority
- Our values are based on successful educational concepts such as: uniforms, zero tolerance to bullying, strong discipline, punctuality, developing relationships, consulting with parents, careers and personal guidance and offering opportunities outside the classroom
- Excellence - Kairangi
- Respect - Mana
- Resilience - Tohea
- Whanau - Family
The New Zealand National Curriculum identifies five key competencies embedded in every Unit Plan of learning.
- Thinking - using creative, critical, and metacognitive processes to make sense of information, experiences, ideas.
- Using language, symbols, texts - using and making meaning of the codes in which knowledge is communicated.
- Managing Self - self-motivation, a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Relating to Others - interacting effectively with a diverse range of people in a variety of contexts.
- Participating and Contributing - being actively involved in communities.
Commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi
The Board of Trustees under the guidance of Ka Hikitia will aim to develop for the School, policies and practices that reflect New Zealand’s cultural diversity and the unique position of the Maori culture. The Board of Trustees will aim to ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to provide instruction in Tikanga Maori (Maori culture) and Te Reo Maori for full-time students whose parents request it.
The Board of Trustees is committed to raising the achievement of Pasifika students as outlined in the Pasifika Education Plan.